Monday 15 March 2021

Kip

Today, the 17th March 2021, would have been Kip's 8th birthday. My Saint Patrick's day baby. Her life fell short of this milestone three days too early. She lost her battle to either an infection or an embolism which resulted from being attacked by another dog. My life feels empty where it had once been full. She should be sitting at my feet right now, half asleep, waiting for me to knock off from work so we can go home. Instead, she is already home, having been laid to rest the same morning that she passed away. 

She didn't have a dull life. Born to Finny Venturin and Axle Holzwart, Kip should have been a working dog. Her career achievements, however, were looking at cattle whilst other dogs worked them, blocking up a mob of cattle by accident and bringing in another mob while I thought she was lost in the paddock. The rest of the time, she was the perfect quad bike accessory.

Finny's pride



Kip got her name because she liked to sleep. As a pup, she would get cranky if woken up. Due to her love of slumber, she was a good traveller. She loved a good leg stretch if there were wallabies, rabbits or hares involved, though she was never fast enough. The speed which her brothers and sisters had inherited was marred in her when she contracted botulism at only a few months old. She recovered well due to the attention she received from absolutely anyone (especially Cookie) that passed her spot on the lawn and moved her, massaged her legs or held her to a standing position for a few minutes.




She crossed the Northern Territory/South Australia border with me multiple times. At some point, Kip and I would usually be at Wudinna on these trips where my mother would proceed to complain about my fur child. "She's lying in the laundry basket of clean linen", "she's stained the armchair red from digging holes in the backyard", "she's tunnelled under the garden shed", "she's dug up Nanna's plants" etc. On one occasion in Wudinna, she had been bitten by a spider just before we left the place and by the time we got to Alice Springs she was in need of TLC from Desert Oaks Veterinary Clinic.






She came with me to multiple house-sits where she made lots of new friends. There was no shortage of new fun, mischief and comfy things to sleep on.



However, at some house-sits, things didn't go so great. At one, Kip struggled to make new friends. They did not take too kindly to her at all. She recovered well. 


At another, Kip got herself into a bit of a pickle and got her eggs fertilised after scaling the fence. Her date was kind enough to walk her home the next morning, which is how I even had a remote idea of what breed the puppies will be crossed with.




After that litter of puppies, I was done with the little rascals and got Kip spayed at the Mount Barker Veterinary Clinic. She recovered quickly because it involved plenty of sleeping.



I often felt as though South Australia was a more dog-friendly place and so I'd take Kip with me here or there because she was far easier to deal with in public than her rambunctious sons.




Of her nearly eight years, each moment has been a blessing to my life. I never thought I'd lose Kip so early. I'd always envisioned her getting old and sleeping significantly more than she already did. It's been a hard knock to deal with her passing. She was always there, right by my side, in the car, beside my bed or even in it with me. Always within arms reach. As I cry and ache and I look to her for comfort, she is gone. 

So on this day, Kip's 8th birthday, take a moment to appreciate your pet. Give them an extra treat or bone. Let them run around out of the cage or off the chain for an extra half hour. Take them to that place or this, even if you think it's a pain in the arse. Because you just don't know if that could be your last adventure together, the last time you pat your dog, the last time you cuddle your cat. The last time you see their wagging tale and contented smile. Don't let those opportunities pass because one day they'll be gone.





Thank you to Katherine Vet Care, to everyone for your thoughts and understanding during these difficult times and to everyone that passed through Kip's life and showed her love and kindness. Everyone who was good to her contributed to her being a great dog and an exceptional best mate.






No comments:

Post a Comment